If you are insured with TK, for instance as an employee, self-employed individual or retiree, you can take out insurance for the following dependants free of charge:
- your spouse or civil partner in accordance with the German Civil Partnership Act [Lebenspartnerschaftsgesetz]
- biological and adopted children up to a certain age limit
- children of children covered by non-contributory dependants’ insurance
- stepchildren and grandchildren who live with you in one household
- stepchildren and grandchildren who live on their own and who depend primarily on you for their livelihood
- foster children, unless you are caring for them in a professional capacity.