Yes, the claim will be extended in 2021 due to the Corona pandemic. You can apply for child sickness benefit retroactively from 5 January 2021. We abstain from receiving any evidence issued by the day nursery or school to make it as easy and convenient as possible for you. Your details given on the application are sufficient. Just apply online at "Meine TK" ["My TK"] or via the TK App. You don't have to submit a certificate issued by the school or day nursery. We will see to everything else.
Alternatively, you can download the application form as PDF file, fill it in, sign it and send it to the following address (a street address is not required):
Application form for child sick pay due to the pandemic-related care of your child (available only in German):
Child sick pay due to the Corona pandemic
In 2021, every parent covered by statutory health insurance can claim child sick pay for a period of 20 instead of 10 days. If you have several children, you can claim a total of 45 days at the most. The entitlement for single parents increases by 20 to 40 days per child. If you have several children, you can claim a total of 90 days at the most.
You are also entitled to child sick pay in case of the following pandemic-related incidents:
- childcare facilities (crèches, (day) nurseries, kindergartens, day foster care), schools or facilities for people with disabilities have been closed or
- classes or groups are not permitted to enter the facility (this also includes isolation-related reasons) or
- school or company holidays have been enforced or prolonged or
- in-person teaching has been cancelled or access to child care service offers has been restricted or
- the competent public authority has recommended to refrain from visiting one of the facilities mentioned above.
We do not need any evidence from you that an emergency childcare would be possible.
Splitting child sick pay according to requirements
If your child isn't in child care every day (e. g. only on certain days), please fill in one application per period.
Who can apply for child sick pay?
Requirements for parents for the entitlement to child sick pay:
- they are covered by statutory health insurance,
- they are in paid employment,
- they are entitled to sick pay,
- their child must be younger than 12 years,
- their child must be covered by statutory health insurance.
You can also only claim child sick pay if there is no other person in your household who can take care of your child in your place.
Child sick pay when your child is ill
If you have to look after your child because they are ill, we still need a certificate from your doctor.