As a compulsorily insured student, you pay a standard contribution (applies throughout Germany) based on the maintenance need (requirement rate) defined by the BAföG [German Federal Education and Training Assistance Act] - regardless of whether or not you receive BAföG assistance yourself.
|Breakdown of the monthly contribution||Up to 23 years of age or 23 years and older with child/children||23 years and older without child/children|
specified by law
TK-specific additional contribution rate
Long-term care insurance
When you reach the age of 30
We can only extend the insurance beyond your 30th birthday under certain circumstances.
When your student insurance expires, you will need to pay the regular contributions for voluntarily insured persons. The amount is based on your income. For health insurance, the minimum contribution is 172.01 EUR per month. The minimum contribution for long-term care insurance is 34.52 EUR per month, and for members aged 23 years and older without children, the contribution is 38.48 EUR per month.
To calculate your contributions individually, we will be happy to send you an application - just contact us to request one. You can reach our TK-ServiceTeam by phone at +49 40-46 06 62 53 00 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year).
Pay contributions monthly using direct debit
The easiest and convenient way is to set up a Direct Debit Mandate with us. We will then debit your contribution from your bank account every month. Otherwise, you have to pay the entire semester contribution in advance.
Reasons for extending the student health insurance
Under certain conditions, we can extend the student health insurance.
Reasons for extending the insurance past the qualifying age limit:
- birth of a child
- providing care for a disabled or sick relative
- member of a committee or council pf a higher education institution
- non-admission to a study programme
- basic military service or alternative community service
- voluntary social year
- second chance and further education
- Bundesfreiwilligendienst (BFD) [German state voluntary service programme]
- comparable approved voluntary service (e.g. Internationaler Jugendfreiwilligendienst (IJFD) [International Youth Volunteer Service]
- attendance of a Studienkolleg [preparatory college] as a mandatory requirement for admission to a study programme
- registration with a preparatory language course as a mandatory prerequisite for admission to a study programme